Good to Know
Hiring the wrong builder can have a multiple disastrous and long lasting implications, not just financial losses. Poor workmanship by “Cowboy Builders” has been known to significantly damage the structural integrity of houses affecting their ability to even stand let alone to be sold!
Here are a few tips to ensure you are engaging the right person for the job.
- Use the contacts you have. Chances are you or someone close to you has needed a builder or someone in a related field in the past. Consult with such professionals to figure out the type of work you need done and therefore the skills you will require of your builder. They may also be able to provide referrals in the area.
- Check accreditation. With any builder you are considering, ensure they have good accreditation and are part of a recognised trade organisation. Confirm that they are still registered and in good standing with the organisations. Also, look into their insurance cover and job warranties.
- Consult. Arrange to have them conduct a visit and inspection. Be clear about what work you want to be done and pay attention to their responses. You will want someone that is paying attention to your wants and seeks to better understand your vision and limitations.
- Do comparison shopping. Get several quotes before making a decision. You need to compare the costs quoted to establish who is offering a reasonable deal. Do not always be led by the lowest price, because cheap can be expensive.
- Ask for references. Ask about previous projects the builders have worked on and call ahead to see if you can visit and view the workmanship for yourself. This will give you a good idea of what quality of work to expect and provide a chance to question the previous client about their experience with the builder.
At Collyer Construction we make it our mission to turn your dreams into reality. We draw on our customers’ vision and specifications to deliver home projects that meet the design aesthetics and functionality they desire. It all begins and ends with you.
Experience and Expertise
Collyer Construction has been in business for over ten years and relies on the expertise of our team that have decades more training and experience. Our talented and professional craftsmen are known for providing the highest quality finishes on every project they work on.
Every home construction project we work on is as distinct as the personalities of their homeowners. We pay keen attention to the desired outcomes of our clients and use this inspiration to guide our efforts towards delivering a bespoke service tailored to meet whatever the exacting standards.
The exemplary craftsmanship of our team ensures that at the end of the construction phase you will have every reason to be delighted, and be proud to show off your new or renovated space. We guarantee a superior finish that will make you excited to welcome others into your newly transformed home.
The quality workmanship we provide ensures lasting durability. Our builds will truly last the test of time and continue to look as good in years to come. The detail of our work is what leads to clients recommending us over and over again.
We firmly believe in offering quality at an affordable price. As we work hard to source the best prices for locally sourced materials, and the best workmanship to complement this. To this end, we are devoted to ensuring budgets are worked to when delivering you a home project that exceeds expectations.
Collyer Construction are always looking to work with local property developers on new build projects throughout Hampshire and Surrey. The availability of land however, especially to smaller scale developers is proving a real stumbling block. We are seeing enquiries down in the sector as a direct consequence of the lack of availability so we welcome the pledge by the government to make more land available to small house builders.
At Collyer Construction we know we can deliver the quality workmanship that is required in these more intimate developments, we just need to land to be available to do so.
More information on this plight is available from the Federation of Master Builders on the following link:
At Collyer Construction, the same as every other building contractor, we have battled COVID, and continue to face challenges over material shortages and price increases on just about every project. Lead times are ever increasing with no respite on the horizon.
Steel prices have gone up dramatically and this has made pricing projects increasingly more difficult. The price at the time of the estimate is rarely the price that we now pay by the time that the project is off the ground. This makes for a tricky conversation with the client early on.
An interesting article below from building.co.uk that warns of more issues on the horizon. The knock on affect can only mean one thing – further price rises.